Return to Help Topics
In addition to the existing fields on the People Screen, you can also create and edit your own individual and family User-Defined fields. In ChurchTrac Online, you can create an
unlimited number of these custom fields.
Creating User-Defined Fields
To create a new User-Defined field, click on "User-Defined Fields" in the Config menu on the People Screen toolbar. The "User-Defined Fields" window will open and allow you to get started.
- Select which type of field you want to create: individual (information only applies to the individual person) or family (information applies to the entire family).
- Type the name of your new field at the bottom of the screen under the "Create a New Individual/Family User-Defined field."
- Select your Field Type. Once the field type is set, it cannot be changed.
Click the "Create New Field" button.
For some field types, you have the option of selecting a Default Value for the field. When a new name is added to the database, the default value will automatically be assigned
for those fields. For example, if the Newsletter Recipient field is set to default to "Yes," then all families added AFTER the default value has been set will be put on the
newsletter mailing list.
- The Yes/No Option automatically sets "yes" or "no" as the options to choose from the selection box.
- The Small Text Box gives you a one-line field to enter text (up to 100 characters).
- The Large Text Box gives you a large box, which will allow you to enter about 500 characters.
- The Selection List allows you to create a list of responses, which the user can select from the selection box.
- The Document option allows you to import PDF files such as youth permissions slips, security background checks, etc. to keep on record.
- The Date(w/year required) option allows you to select a specific date from a pop up calendar.
- The Date(w/ year optional) allows you to just select the month and day. Perfect for anniversaries!
Set the permission level for the field to establish which users can access the field.
- Default settings to not have to be set at all. They can remain blank.
- They can be manually changed for an individual or family by simply "editing" that field on the People Screen.
Editing a User-Defined Field
To edit a User-Defined Field, select the type of field you want to change: individual or family. Then click on the field name to edit the entry. Only the field name, default value
and permission level can be changed.
Note: The field type cannot be edited because the information already entered in that field would be incompatible with the new field type. The only way to change the field type
would be to delete the field entirely, create a new field with the new field type, and manually re-enter the information for all of the individuals or families already in the database.
Return to Help Topics